Already almost a month into 2010 (where does the time fly?) so I thought I would get out my hopes and wants from this new year. After the crazy bi-polar year that was 2009, I really want 2010 to have much more stability. As this is the cornerstone hope I also add the following:
- Take the podcast Deep Fried Bytes I do with Keith Elder to the next level. It has been a great almost 2 years since 2 guys started down this path. We have a great base and I just want to grow it and have more fun with it.
- Learn 2 new development languages this year to expend my skills and knowledge. The first is Ruby. After hearing so many great things from everywhere I thought it would be time to learn what the fuss was all about. See that I have 2 great community leader in Joe O’Brien and Leon Gersing around, the learning should be fun through the Ruby Koans. The second and more mind blowing language is F#. I also have a great mentor in Chris Smith to assist me in the mastery of not only F# but with Functional Programming.
- Master the art of web development with ASP.NET MVC 2, JQuery and also CSS. A daunting task which I hope to be up for as a huge challenge.
- Live up to the MVP award Microsoft has given me and outreach to show the world the secrets of products such as Entity Framework and MSSQL Modeling Services. Will be a fun year with many new technologies and exposing the community these great emerging tools.
- Lose 40 pounds and be at 235 lb for the summer. That will be the toughest task to keep.
- The most important work I have in 2010 is as a Father and Husband. Nothing previously mentioned could be done without the support and sacrifice of my family. If 2009 taught me nothing it showed me that family and faith should be the top priorities in anyone’s life.